Reframe your Metaphors, and other lessons from Y Combinator S21 Day 1
After a 17-hour marathon through nearly 200 startup pitches, the Equity team was fired up to get back on Twitter and chat through some early trends and favorites from the first day of Y Combinator’s demo party. We’ll be back on the air tomorrow, so make sure you’re following the show on Twitter so you don’t miss out.
What did Natasha and Alex chat about? The following:
- First impressions: We started by going through top-line numbers, geographic breakdown, and how the accelerator is doing when it comes to the representation of diverse founders. The last bit had a tiny bit of progress, but diversity continues to be an issue in YC’s batches — even as cohort size grows. We also chatted about what startups pitching can work on: like better mics, which are cheap and good.
- Our early favorites: Metaphor, Lumify, Alex’s favorite duo Indian real estate plays, Akudo, Reframe and Playhouse.
- And some hmmm moments, including our thoughts on Writesonic, which Natasha has a potentially paranoid theory on.
TechCrunch has extensive coverage of the day on the site, so there’s lots to dig into if you are in the mood. More tomorrow!
Equity drops every Monday at 7:00 a.m. PDT, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 a.m. PDT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the casts!
- Spotify Blend Share Playlists Now Available To Users Globally
- Coral Capital closes third fund with $128M for startups in Japan
- Galaxy S21 FE May Not Include A MicroSD Slot
- Korean 3D spatial data tool startup Urbanbase closes $11.1M Series B+ round
- Amazon Luna Is Letting You Try Ubisoft+ For $1 For Your First Month
- Gillmor Gang: Half a Loaf