Signal, the encrypted messaging app, is currently down for many users
Signal is down for many users right now. Its status website says the encrypted messaging app is “experiencing technical difficulties” and many people are getting an in-app error message that says the same thing. The company says it is “working hard to restore service as quickly as possible.” TechCrunch has contacted Signal for comment.
According to Downdetector.com, users started reporting outages around 11:05 PM Eastern Standard Time this evening, and it appears to be affecting people around the world.
User reports indicate Signal is having problems since 11:05 PM EDT. https://t.co/oKU2RqVtUR RT if you’re also having problems #signaldown
— Downdetector (@downdetector) September 27, 2021
In January, Signal experienced a surge in downloads on the App Store and Google Play after WhatsApp changed its data-sharing policy.
Over the past few months, Signal has continued to build out its feature set, adding a default timer for disappearing messages that automatically applies the settings to all new conversations.
- Older Wear OS Smartwatches Will Get The YouTube Music App
- This Week in Apps: PayPal launches ‘super app,’ Twitter adds crypto tips, Apple won’t take Fortnite back
- Twitter Account Verification Now Open To All Eligible Users Globally
- Daily Crunch: Chinese regulators issue blanket ban on crypto trading, mining
- Wallpaper Engine Will Soon Get An Android Companion App
- As remote work becomes normal, Ukio raises $9M for premium long-term rentals